You’ve decided your project needs a dumpster. You’ve gone through all of the steps for How To Choose The Right Dumpster Rental Company. So, how do you rent a dumpster?
- Check With Village/Town – You need to know if you need a permit to have a dumpster on your property. Contact your village or town hall and ask if you need a permit, where you are allowed to put your dumpster and how long you can have it for.
- Check With Neighbors – If you share property or a driveway with a neighbor, ask them where you might be able to put the dumpster without causing issues for them or blocking any access points. You may be surprised and the neighbor will want to split the cost of a dumpster so they can toss out some old junk as well.
- Check With HOA – Often when you live in a particular sub-division or complex, there is an HOA that you must run certain decisions through. There are times when an HOA might be opposed to dumpster rentals so it’s always best to ask before you incur fines or irritate the wrong folks.
- Guess Your Trash – When you rent a dumpster, you need to know the size to get. Determining whether you need a small or large dumpster can impact where you put it or your overall project budget. When in doubt, explain the project to your dumpster rental company and they can guide you on an appropriate size.
- Flat Fees – You want to know the total cost of the dumpster rental up front so make sure you are using a company that charges a flat fee. Ones that charge by weight can throw off your budget if the debris weighs more than you anticipated.
- Weather – Check the weather schedule to see if rain or snow is predicted. This weather can impact the fill limits or weight of your dumpster so you may want to purchase a cheap tarp and some cords to secure it to keep weather out of your rental. You can find affordable items at your nearest hardware chain store.
- The Perfect Fit – Before you even call for a dumpster, determine where you’re going to put it. It should be a hard, level surface with nothing around it or blocking it. Figure at least 20 feet clear above it and at least 16 feet where it can rest.
- Time To Book! – Call or visit your dumpster rental company to schedule a dumpster. Make sure they are transparent on all terms – pricing, dumpster size, rental period and fees. Fees are usually when you break contract rules such as what is allowed in the dumpster, weight limits, over-filling it, etc. All of these terms and rules should be clear in the contract.
- Pick Ups – When you are finished with your dumpster, you need to call the company to come get it. They will NOT automatically pick it up when your rental period is over. If they don’t hear from you, they assume you want the dumpster longer and charge you another rental fee.
- Same Day Delivery – When you book a dumpster, ask about their delivery options. The majority of companies should be able to offer same day delivery or pick up.
By following these simple steps, you can cover all bases when it comes to booking a dumpster rental in Merrillville!
If you would like to rent a dumpster or need more information about our services, please contact us today!